Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Body Image

         



          Many of you know that this year has been especially rough on me when it comes to my Crohn's Disease.  I've been hospitalized four times already, had a drainage tube for three months, and I currently have at least two fistulas.  I am in pain all of the time and am unable to work.  All of this has taken a toll on my mind and my body.  I have been hinting over the past few months about a Crohn's Disease inspired photo shoot.  Well, I am finally posting it.  I don't know why I waited so long.  Fear?  Maybe.  We can't all pose in bikini's on the Mexican beach.  I wanted to show the reality of Crohn's disease and what it does to your body.  I didn't want to look pretty.  These pictures were taken in January of this year, at the height of my most recent flare.  I was down 20 lbs., had not bathed in 2 days, had no make-up on, and my hair was greasy and unbrushed.  I'm sharing these photos to spread awareness about Crohn's Disease and how it affects those who suffer from it.  I want to thank my husband for encouraging me to do this.  I also want to thank photographer Anthony Lanza for understanding my goal, taking wonderful pictures, and stepping outside his comfort zone.

If you look closely you can see the bruises on my arms from I.V.'s and blood draws

The dark spots on my legs are a symptom of Crohn's.  They last for weeks and make it painful to walk.

At the time I was on about a dozen different medications
I dropped in weight to under 100lbs



I had to use a cheat sheet to remember when and how many of each medication I needed to take.

Scars on my chest from implanted port-a-caths

My biggest supporter.  I would not be able to get through this without my husband, Jeremy.  This photo symbolizes the love and support he gives me in dealing with this disease.

This photo really shows the weight loss.  You could see every vertebrae in my back.



In this photo I tried to convey through my eyes 15 years of sickness.

          Please share these photos with anyone and everyone you know that is affected by or know's someone with Crohn's Disease.  I have bounced back a little from the time that these pictures were taken, but the fight is still on going.  I hope this helps some of you realize that you are not alone and you do not have to be alone.  Share your struggles, share your fight.  It helps you and it helps others.  We are joined in our battle and one day we will win this war.  Keep fighting rangers!!!!!

14 comments:

  1. Beautifully done! I myself do not suffer from Crohn's but have major digestive health issues and have to be on meds to stabilize my body. I think your story and blog will help so many. You are a very strong women and have a great husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photos, Lindsay! I truly understand your pain. Keep fighting, stay strong, know we are praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am seeing myself through your photos. This brought me to tears. I can feel your emotions and your pain. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing such a painful part of your journey. It isn't easy; I'm 10 surgeries in and have had 3 abscesses, 2 fistulas and countless obstructions. I hope you are continuing to recover from the latest flare. Thank you again for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter has Crohn's,...thank you for the strength and beauty of your photos. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so beautiful- inside and out. Thank you for opening yourself up to such raw reality and visuals that are truly artistic to communicate the emotion behind it. I am excited to follow your blog and am so grateful for your candidness that I am not able to share yet. Love and blessings to you... A fellow Crohnie diagnosed 1 year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this. What great courage, strength and beauty you radiate. Bless you! Sending love, from one Crohnie to another. xo Ashley Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Very powerful pictures and very artfully done! I have suffered with this disease since my teens...I now am 50. Keep on fighting and don't let the disease win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have uc ,, I got down to around 100lbs also but have been healing over the past several months ,, I d love to help you ! Sincerely

    ReplyDelete